Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bummer.

So tonight we were at Eric's basketball game at the church stake center in Modesto. I decided to keep my purse under my car seat knowing I would basically be chasing kids and didn't want to bother with it. I set my keys down by my chair next to the rest of the random clothes, jerseys and garb that hangs out on the stage during the basketball game. There were several families there watching too and a whole slew of kids.

When it came time to leave my keys were no where to be found. Eric drove separately coming straight from work so luckily he had a spare key. I can not stand losing things, like most everyone I know. I went back into the building twice to check. I asked Eric to go back and check one more time while I waited in the car with the kiddos. I reached under my chair to grab my purse anxious for the In n Out Burger run that was about to take place..... and GONESVILLE. Some person had taken my keys, found my car and stole my purse. At first I was just sick to my stomach...why didn't I put my keys in my pocket? why didn't i take my purse in?... who in the world had the audacity?

Another player had his keys stolen too. Only he doesn't have a spare key at all. He had to tow his car home before he could even see if anything was stolen. The burglar/loser was kind enough to lock it back for him. So first I was sick, then scared when I realized they could stroll on into our house. Then I was so angry. AND for the fact that they probably chucked my purse when they realized I didn't have any cash.

As I was driving home we saw a really bad wreck and then I realized I'd much rather be in my shoes than those shoes. When we called to make the report the Modesto police dept was at a code yellow. I guess there had been a multiple homicide so they weren't too concerned with car break ins. I think I would opt out of that situation too. Maybe a stolen purse isn't so bad? Jack was quite worried over hearing all the conversations that went on. But later said "Who ever did this did NOT choose the right. When the police catch him, he is going to jail for weeks!" Thank you CTR 5 class!

BAD NEWS
We spent 4ever on the phone canceling cards
In-N-Out was a candle in the wind.
I need my i.d. since we are flying to UT next week for a wedding!
My new flat iron was in my purse. Random. Don't ask.
Eric's spare key that cost $100 was on my key ring
That warm fuzzy feeling of helplessness.
It took quite a bit of consoling to undo Jack's worries
We need to redo our door locks

Good News
They didn't realize Eric's car was right next to mine
I happened to take out Jacks star wars guys before we left
Nobody had tried to use the cards
My Dad was willing to go back over with flashlights to look for my stuff in case they dumped it. Very sweet.
Jack and I had a good discussion about why it's important to CTR.
This encouraged Eric to buy a baseball bat.
a. I can cross it off his birthday/christmas list
b. It works on baseball, home invasions and aliens ( Have you seen the movie Signs? )
My fanny pack from 6th grade might be making a comeback.

Be careful out there. These are tuff times for people that do and do not CTR.

6 comments:

Amy said...

oh Katie I am so bummed for you. THat is just awful. The nerve of that person. I am so sorry!

Mark and Amy said...

That totally sucks! To think, someone thought this whole thing up-AT CHURCH! Hopefully replacing everything won't be to much of a pain-sorry!

brooklin said...

Ahh-- what an awful story! If only everyone in this world was listening in Jack's CTR class!

jennsekona said...

that was a terrible story although it could've been much worse. i love jack's logic, it's so similar to mason's. bonus on the baseball bat, we've got golf clubs : )

PerryParty3 said...

ugh. Katie, I'm so sorry. I hate that violated feeling. I still can't believe someone stole our car and gutted it, and that was like 9 months ago. It's such an awful feeling. It's so sad how other people's choices have such an influence on not just themselves, but others. But hey, at least you have a baseball bat..but, how good his Eric's aim? :)

Anonymous said...

That stinks! I'm so sorry. That's a horrible feeling. You're great to have a positive attitude about it though.