Monday, August 18, 2008

Gympoopstics

I love watching gymnastics but this time around I have been a little disappointed. I understand why the US got silver in the the team gymnastics BUT the individual vault and bars situations are beyond me. I don't see how the girl from China got a bronze and landed on her knees! over someone who landed both vaults - Alicia. Sure her vault was ranked more difficult but she couldn't pull it off! Doesn't that have anything to do with it? Her hands were in the wrong place and she landed on her knees. Knees being different than feet. So I guess the judging is based more on intentions than actual performance. Just when I was moving on with my life.
Nastia gets silver in a tie? They go shift it into some back-up micro scoring within the scoring the first time around came out as a tie????? I am not too gymnastic savvy, maybe that is the reason I am so disgusted.

AND as far as the age-limit thing goes, apparently the young Chinese girls can compete with older girls so maybe they should reevaluate the age range. Because when you lose to someone with poor judging, the same person who shouldn't even be there in the first place you might as well just hand them the salt to poor in your gaping wound.

Sounds like a broken system.

2 comments:

brooklin said...

i feel exactly the same way! what a downer-- it makes me never want to let my kids compete in a sport that is judged by such lame-o scoring-- avoid the unnecessary heartache. i think i'm more of a "cross-the-finish-line-first-so-you're-the-clear-winner" person. uuugh!

A. Hunter said...

I totally agree. I am a few days behind on my DVR with the olympics but I really have been disappointed! I'm glad others feel the same way. I was so mad that Nastia and that girl from China tied and Nastia totally did a better bar routine. That really bothered me!