Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Shot through the heart...and you're to blame..."

So I think getting shots is just one of the saddest things. Your kids trust you with their lives and you hand them over to someone with rubber gloves & a long needle. Of course I would never trade the benefits of immunizations I just wish the kiddies could somehow comprehend it a little better. TODAY - we went for a well child check to meet our new Doctor. Thought it would be good in case we get sick that he will have seen us before. I don't know how long I had spent reassuring Jack that no shots were due this visit. Much to my dismay he had 4 due plus a tb test & Audrey had 2 plus a tb test. Apparently CA gives certain immunizations earlier in case all the friends that arrive here - wanted or unwanted have Hep. or other nasty infectious diseases. anyway So ON TOP OF SHOTS - he requested lab work too. All to be done today. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY JOKING ME? I felt so bad. I could have croaked. Jack and Audrey had done so well during their check-up. And Jack hears the word "SHOT" and he looks straight at me and said "Mom, he said Shot. We're not getting shots today." Shots are bad enough and then you have to watch your sibling go first. Jack was yelling at the nurses. "That's my baby sister!" We were a sight.

So after I carried them both out of the Injection Dept. at the Pediatrics facility- all of us crying mind you, we drove over to the hospital for blood work. Jack in his prayers always blesses our hearts, our skeletons and our blood. He is very aware that these things are IN our body. So what does the nurse say to us when we arrive,
"We're just going to take your blood." AHHH! -- As Jack and I shift it into panic mode. He thinks she's a vampire and I think she needs to brush up on her pediatric vocabulary! We survived, barely. I don't know when to break the news that we have to go back in 2 days for them to clear his TB test.....

5 comments:

Amy said...

i think i will cry for every shot jill will get. Definitely a downside to being a parent

brooklin said...

oh what a sad story... what sweet little kids. i love the "that's my sister" reaction. i miss these guys! ps... am i a bad mom because i don't cry with every shot?

A. Hunter said...

I know, it's sad, but your experience totally made me laugh. Calvin would have acted the same way if someone said they had to take his blood. I don't know how you got though it. Good luck tomorrow with the TB test.

jennsekona said...

ahh! that makes me laugh a nervous laugh because Mason and Kennedy are both due for shots, Mason for boosters, and when kennedy was so sick they skipped a couple of hers so now I have to make that dreaded appointment, at least I can tell them Jack and Auggie survived and they can too!

PerryParty3 said...

k, first of all, I love your music selection. :) I'm so sorry about the bad day with shots. We've lucked out with not having such an overdose of pain. I love that Jack stood up for his sister. We go get ice-cream after it's all over, so at least there's somethign to look forward too.